Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How Toad Hall got its name?

No, we are not crazy fans of Wind in the Willows. We came up with this name for the farm mostly because every time it rained, the toads would come out and cover everything. There are so many toads in the summer, you have to watch where you step and sometimes where you drive. Lets just put it this way, if they were frogs, I'd be worried.
Our home is a modest one bedroom, one bathroom with 40 acres. The amount of land makes up for the size of the house. We have a small barn for the horse and a shed my husband is turning into a smithy. We hope to build a small building to use as a sugar shack, outdoor kitchen, honey house, green house, and if I can work it out, a laundry room. My husband calls it the multi purpose building. I think that would be the only thing I would change about the house, it needs a laundry room. In the summer I use an old Speed Queen wringer washer and the old fashioned clothes line. I love that washer. It really does get the clothes cleaner then any modern washer I've used. And talk about fast. It only takes a few minutes to wash the clothes, then I rinse them in and old galvinised double tub and hang them up on the line. There's nothing like the smell of clothes that have been dried on the line.

1 comment:

  1. the old wringer washer brings back memories of when I married into this family in 1970. My mother-in-law had an old wringer washer up at the family cabin. I would help her drag it out from under the back porch, then boil water and watch her wash clothes with this odd machine.

    ReplyDelete